Monday, March 29, 2010

Swimming - 10:00am - 10:45am - Mara's last swim class. I think we will definitely sign her up for another round of classes.

Mara has been struggling a little with the short sound of the 'u' so we played a game to help learn the difference between the sound of a 'y' from the sound of a 'u'. And basically I just made up little rhymes and clues to have her say the various words that have the sound of a short 'u' in them, i.e. umbrella, tummy, bun, cut, under, plum etc. We did this activity until I ran out of words.

We talked a little about homonyms. This is a topic we will be exploring a little more as she continues reading. I will probably just have her work on an ongoing list that we can talk about.

Hooked on Phonics: Mara really enjoys these books. I wasn't sure how popular they would be but as it turns out she really likes them. I'm having to slow her down a bit as she wants to just press ahead and keep going and of course she wants to skip over the 'boring' activities in the workbook. By boring I mean the pages of words with neighboring sound combination's not listed in any sentence structure. We are into the red level and she finished books 19 and 20 today.

We are half way through Little House on the Prairie and she is really asking some great questions while following along with this story.

Comments

Popular Posts